[Spread-users] On deactivating the Spread Daemon Ethernet, spread daemon gets killed ...

Vipul Shinde vipulshinde at rediffmail.com
Thu Jul 12 06:24:21 EDT 2007

John,

Thanks for information.

After my investigation with spread daemon code, I was able to find point from where daemon gets killed.
file membership.c(of version 1.0)  : line 1428

Below is code snippet for same.

ret=  Net_ucast_token( My.id, &send_scat );

Why does Net_ucast_token() method return a negative value when,
SpreadDaemon1 Ethernet is deactivated using neat tool on linux box ??

Could you help me understand more about it ??

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 John Schultz wrote :
>On Wed, 11 Jul 2007, Vipul Shinde wrote:
>
>Now if I deactivate the SpreadDaemon1 Ethernet i.e 10.100.3.129 using neat tool on linux box.  SpreadDaemon1 gets killed (gracefully exits).
>
>Is this an known behavior of spread daemon version 1.0  ?
>
>Can you provide me some information as to why is spread daemon gets killed in such a scenario ?
>
>====
>
>Vipul,
>
>I think Spread kills itself because shutting down that interface probably causes its sockets bound on that address to throw an unexpected error from which Spread doesn't know how to recover.
>
>Also, the current Spread versions are either 3.17.4 or 4.0.0.
>
>Cheers!
>
>---
>John Schultz
>Spread Concepts