[Spread-users] Spread Performance (Financial Market Data Distribution)

Thomas Lo thomas.lo at financialogixgroup.com
Mon Jul 9 20:03:41 EDT 2007

John,

Thanks for the quick response. I have to apologize for my mistake. I
got a typo there on the receiving end which is supposed to be 120,520
message per seconds.

My requirement will not be 120,000 message per seconds. Just want to
find out why the throughput was decreased. Thanks.

Thomas

When you only use a single daemon, your throughput should be CPU
limited.
As you linearly increase the number of receivers you are roughly
linearly
increasing the amount of work Spread has to perform directing traffic to
each of the receivers.  So, I am not suprised that you see the
throughput
drop in half when you quadruple the number of participants on a single
daemon.

One thing that confuses me is that it is not sustainable to have your
publisher producing at a rate 10x of what your receiver is
consuming.  I'm
suprised that Spread did not simply disconnect your receiver for
being too
slow and consuming too much of its memory (buffer) resources.

If you intend to send as fast as possible then your processes will
have to
conduct flow control amongst themselves so that your producers don't
overwhelm your consumers.  If you don't, then Spread will disconnect
your
receivers once they are consuming too much buffer memory.

Cheers!

---
John Schultz
Spread Concepts