[Spread-users] Spread Performance (Financial Market Data Distribution)

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Mon Jul 9 15:49:24 EDT 2007

When you only use a single daemon, your throughput should be CPU limited.
As you linearly increase the number of receivers you are roughly linearly
increasing the amount of work Spread has to perform directing traffic to
each of the receivers.  So, I am not suprised that you see the throughput
drop in half when you quadruple the number of participants on a single
daemon.

One thing that confuses me is that it is not sustainable to have your
publisher producing at a rate 10x of what your receiver is consuming.  I'm
suprised that Spread did not simply disconnect your receiver for being too
slow and consuming too much of its memory (buffer) resources.

If you intend to send as fast as possible then your processes will have to
conduct flow control amongst themselves so that your producers don't
overwhelm your consumers.  If you don't, then Spread will disconnect your
receivers once they are consuming too much buffer memory.

Cheers!

---
John Schultz
Spread Concepts