[Spread-users] Voice communication using Spread

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Mon Feb 26 11:29:37 EST 2007

On Sun, 25 Feb 2007, Roman Selin wrote:

> OK, is there any reliable way to determine when I am sending too fast ?

If you want to send as fast as Spread will allow, then you need to
implement a flow control protocol between your applications.  Here is a
pretty good discussion of flow control in Spread:

http://lists.spread.org/pipermail/spread-users/2002-March/000655.html

> What is the current status of Spines ? Is it actively developed ?

Spines is actively developed.  It is stable at version 2.2 right now.
Check out www.spines.org for more details.

FYI, if you use UDP (multicast) in Spines I don't believe it performs
*application* level flow control -- much like Spread.  Also, Spines
doesn't exploit LAN broadcast or multicast capabilities, so within a LAN
multicast is implemented as N point-to-point unicasts.  If your network is
wide area, then Spines does a very good job of disseminating the
multicast across the network.

Cheers!

---
John Schultz