[Spread-users] Voice communication using Spread

dustin at v.igoro.us dustin at v.igoro.us
Tue Feb 13 12:52:26 EST 2007

On Tue, Feb 13, 2007 at 08:35:14AM -0700, Jim Vickroy wrote:
> Conducting performance tests, I
> noticed that under heavy load (sending a lot of messages to
> group)  Spread sometimes just closes connection. I found
> similar discussion in the list archive, but it didn't help
> (I read everything from the group). I've also read a lot about
> Spread's blocking behaviour - we can use
> select/poll/epoll/kqueue to detect socket readiness, but
> I/O  can block inside SP_receive or SP_multicast.

You specifically mention "sending" -- if you write 8192 more packets
than you read, and you're not using SELF_DISCARD (sp?), you'll fill up
your own receive buffer and spread will disconnect you.  It's not very
verbose about why it disconnects you -- that would be a nice area for
improvement -- so this is just a guess.

Dustin