[Spread-users] use a static lib, get rid of .so?

Allen Brunson abrunson at landmarkdigital.com
Fri Feb 9 11:03:55 EST 2007

Theo Schlossnagle wrote:
> You are getting the shared library as that is your linkers
> default.

i was not aware of that.  presenting libspread.a to the linker directly without the use of the -l parameter would require substantial modification to our complicated build system, so i just deleted the .so versions of the spread library, which fixed the problem.  thanks!

> We have several apps on our systems that utilize Spread.  And
> when I roll a new release of the Spread libraries onto the system
> (to fix a bug to compatibility issues) I _do not_ want to have to
> recompile every single app that links against it.

not everybody's setup is the same as yours.  in my case, i have only two apps that will use spread.  our hundreds of machines all load those two apps from a single shared nfs volume, so there is only a single copy of each app in existence.  rebuilding those two apps in only one place is a lot easier for me than installing new libs on hundreds of machines.

as long as i've got you guys on the line, i've got another question.  after deleting the .so versions of the lib and the symlinks, i'm left with these:

  libspread.a
  libspread-core.a
  libtspread-core.a

my spread-using apps are currently single-threaded, but they may become multi-threaded in the future.  shouldn't there be a libtspread.a to link against?  what's the right thing to link against for multi-threaded programs?

immediately.

Thank you.