[Spread-users] Updated error_log_spread.pl for mod_log_spread

Rob Bloodgood rob at exitexchange.com
Thu Aug 23 22:36:01 EDT 2007

I found that error_log_spread.pl in the mod_log_spread distribution
(1.0.4), dated 2000, needed a little work.

When I tried it, it turned out my spread-based error_log lacked
newlines. (?)

Since I speak perl, I looked and this was a simple fix, one line.

So while I was at it, I added a small feature: -h will already include
the hostname that sent the message in the log message.  I added -a to
include (instead) the _short_ hostname, eg www1 instead of
www1.myfullyqualifieddommainname.com.

This works *great* in production, and I have this apache ErrorLog directive:

ErrorLog "|/usr/local/bin/error_log_spread.pl -a -h -g www_error_log"

This gives me log entries like (sorry if it wraps):

www1 [Thu Aug 23 19:26:45 2007] [error] [client ###.###.###.###] File
does not exist: /var/www/_vti_bin/owssvr.dll

Attached is a diff.