[Spread-users] Last Call for Spread 4.0.0rc2 bugs

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Thu Oct 19 11:00:41 EDT 2006

On Oct 19, 2006, at 10:27 AM, Jonathan Stanton wrote:
> We are finalizing the Spread 4.0.0 release and wanted to check if
> anyone
> has any outstanding problems with the test release (4.0.0rc2) that
> have
> not already been reported.

There are some challenges building Spread on non-GNU systems.
Specifically, it took a bit of hacking to get it to work on Solaris
(using Sun's native tool chain).  It was differences in the way cc
links, it uses the more standard -R flag for setting run path whereas
GNU gcc uses -Wl,-rpath -Wl,/path/.  The Sun ld doesn't accept -
rpath= as an argument (that's only GNU ld).  Also, there were some ar
flag incompatibilities.  Also, shared libraries are build with gcc -
shared, where on no gcc systems you need to use ld directly.

The composition of archive files that are included into shared
objects (which is what I think it does, I could be wrong it was about
a month ago) is a bit tricky on systems that require strict PIC.

Additionally, there were some inline issues in headers -- where the
functions were labeled inline in the headers, but defined in the C
files -- which apparently gcc is fine with :-)  Sun Studio and I'd
wager a few other compilers are happy with that.

I haven't had time to produce a nice patch to resolve these.  I've
only ever compiled it once on Solaris and it was a time sensitive
demand for a client so the working result was a product of brute force.