[Spread-users] TCP or UDP, spread-to-spread, spread-to-client, TCP_NODELAY

Matt Garman matthew.garman at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 18:22:46 EST 2006

I know I read this before, but can't remember where.  What protocol
(TCP or UDP) does spread use for daemon-to-daemon communication and
for daemon-to-client communication?  My (very foggy) memory says it's
UDP for the former, and TCP for the latter.  Is this correct?

Also, I noticed (via looking at libspread/sp.c) that the TCP_NODELAY
socket option is set for internet sockets, but not for Unix sockets.
Just curious: does anyone know if nagling is always disabled for Unix
sockets (at least on Linux)?  (My intuition says that it's really not
applicable for a Unix socket.)

We're not having any problems with spread, but we are having more
general latency-related (but very mysterious) network problems.  We
thought spread would be a good application to look at to get an idea
of how sockets are generally created and what impact TCP_NODELAY has
on them.

Thank you,
Matt