[Spread-users] Using spread in secure group communication

John Schultz jschultz at commedia.cnds.jhu.edu
Mon Feb 13 19:44:31 EST 2006

Hi Adam,

The first thing to do is to let us see the actual configuration file that
you are using.  Usually problems like this are related to simple
configuration errors.

Your understanding of Spread's communication is *mostly* correct.
However, within a segment it is understood that when a daemon does a
hardware multicast that all the other daemons in the segment will have a
non-zero (actually quite high) chance of hearing the multicast.  That is
in fact the exact definition of a network segment in Spread.  So within a
segment it is generally assumed that you have full connectivity between
all the daemons there.  When this isn't the case, Spread will sometimes
have trouble functioning or be forced to do extra work in pathological
manner (e.g. - always recovering msg "losses").

The fact that none of your daemons are perceiving each other hints to me
that you either have a configuration problem or a bad network setup (e.g.
- no multicast or broadcast).

As to your question on dynamic reconfiguration of Spread daemons, the new
version of Spread, which will be going into public beta *very* soon has
added exactly that feature.

Cheers!

---
John Schultz