[Spread-users] Using spread in secure group communication

Adam Lamar adam at uidaho.edu
Mon Feb 13 19:24:10 EST 2006

Hello,

We are considering using spread for a secure group communication
application. Spread seems to be the perfect fit, however, we are having
trouble getting spread to work exactly as we understand it does.

We are testing spread on four machines on our local network. Each
machine has the spread daemon running and can communicate directly with
every other machine. We have defined our spread segment in the
spread.conf file with a listing of each machine name and IP address.
Communication is working with the spuser program in the client/server
architecture, i.e. if machines A,B,C,D connect to machine A's spread
daemon, each of the machines is able to join the group and send/receive
messages.

The problem arises when we try to use spread in a distributed nature. If
each machine is running the spread daemon, it is our understanding that
machine A can connect to B, B can connect to C, and A will be able to
communicate with C through B. However, when we tried doing this with the
spuser program, this communication does not occur. In fact, watching the
packet dump does not reveal that any communication whatsoever is
occuring between the spread daemons. Is there something obvious that we
are doing wrong?

Also, as we plan on using spread for dynamic groups, is is possible to
define (or for spread to automatically find) where each spread daemon is
located without restarting the spread daemon each time a new participant
joins the network?

Thank you,
Adam Lamar