[Spread-users] Adding info to Transitional EVS messages

John Schultz jschultz at commedia.cnds.jhu.edu
Sun Sep 4 23:34:01 EDT 2005

Nilo,

> Let M be a safe message delivered in a transitional membership.  Can we
> know if M did meet total order?  Then, we know that M was delivered in a
> transitional only because "I don't know if everybody knows".

Spread does know whether or not a message meets no-holes total (AGREED)
order within a view.  So, in theory, for a SAFE message that was delivered
after a transitional, yes, a user COULD differentiate between the cases
where the msg (1) didn't meet no-holes total order delivery due to a hole
or (2) if the daemon just couldn't meet SAFE delivery due to not
collecting all the necessary ACKs.  Note that in Spread, case (1) being
true automatically also implies case (2) is true.

Currently, Spread does not provide this differentiating information to
clients (it is never sent to the client side) and I'm not sure how easy it
would be to alter Spread to provide this info.

> If a message does not meet total-order, then for sure the message was
> not received by anyone in a regular membership (since I had a hole and
> no member could have ever establish safe delivery).  If a transitional
> message is in total order, then we know that other members could have
> safely received the message in a regular membership

I think your understanding is correct but I would say it this way:

In Spread, if a SAFE message does not locally meet no-holes total (AGREED)
order, then the message could not have been delivered to anyone before a
transitional signal.  If a SAFE message does locally meet no-holes total
order, then the message could have been delivered to someone before a
transitional signal.

> After a transitional membership, if the primary knows the set of
> messages that could have been applied by the secondary

Using this extra information the primary would know a superset of which
messages *COULD* have been applied by the secondary (i.e. - delivered as
SAFE before a transitional signal at the secondary).

> and applying those updates would result in an idempotent operation from
> the last checkpointed state, then the primary knows for sure the state
> of the secondary after the partition.

By idempotent operation do you mean an operation that "has no persistant
side effects" such as a read operation?

Are you saying that all operations within the view, before and after the
transitional signal, are idempotent or only the ones after the
transitional signal at the primary that meet no-holes total order?

> (there could be other messages that are not in-order in the transitional
> ... but now we know the secondary would have never applied those).

That is true.

> If totally-ordered messages result in a non-idempotent operation, we can
> know the complete set of states that could have been reached from the
> last checkpoint by ignoring non-ordered messages.

To some extent, yes.  If you somehow persistantly synchronized the primary
and secondary to equivalent states before processing any update msgs in
the view, then the primary can know which of several states the secondary
could have reached as it subsequently applied each of the msgs.  But, the
primary cannot know at the time of seperation which of those states the
secondary actually did reach.  For example, the secondary could have
crashed or seperated immediately after your synchronization point, or the
secondary could have applied all of the msgs the primary has as meeting
no-holes total order, or it could have only applied some prefix of those
messages.

Generally, the primary could not correctly choose between these various
possibilities without further communication with the secondary.

Also, you should be careful about simply ignoring messages that do not
meet no-holes total order.  Do you really want your system to lose
messages that could cause updates or do you have some other form of
recovery mechanism to reinject those updates into the system later?

Finally, are you aware that Yair's PhD thesis describes an elegant
algorithm for persistant state replication between N parties using SAFE
msgs in extended virtual synchrony (i.e. - Spread)?  If so, then why are
you "reinventing the wheel?" :)

Cheers!

---
John Schultz