[Spread-users] no daemon

John Schultz jschultz at commedia.cnds.jhu.edu
Sun Sep 4 21:26:27 EDT 2005

Sorry that I didn't see your email before Milind, but it looks like you
are telling sp_user to connect to the wrong port.  By default Spread uses
port 4803 to accept client connections.  Your spread.conf uses the default
and you can also see it here:

                                                    vvvv
> Successfully configured Segment 0 [192.168.1.255:4803] with 2 procs:
>                      matrix: 192.168.1.21
>                    chanakya: 192.168.1.24

But then when you run sp_user you use a -s option, which instructs the
program to connect to a non-default port.  In your case, you tell it to
use port 2300.

                                               vvvvvvv
> [milind at Matrix spread-src-3.17.3]$ ./spuser -s 2300
> Spread library version is 3.17.3
> SP_error: (-2) Could not connect. Is Spread running?
>
> Bye.

So either change your spread.conf to use port 2300 or don't tell sp_user
to use a non-default port.  To do the former, change your spread.conf to
look like this:

                                      vvvvv
> 	Spread_Segment  192.168.1.255:2300{
>        	matrix 192.168.1.21
> 	        chanakya 192.168.1.24
> 	}

To do the latter, simply don't specify a "-s" option to sp_user.

That should solve this problem.  Good luck!

---
John Schultz
Spread Concepts
Phn: 443 838 2200