[Spread-users] Max message size (was: Spread and queuing)

Colin Meyer cmeyer at helvella.org
Mon Nov 7 19:47:21 EST 2005

On Fri, Nov 04, 2005 at 02:04:32PM -0800, Colin Meyer wrote:
> Spreaders,

[...]

> And a side note: is it possible to increase the maximum message size
> to larger than 100k by recompiling Spread, or should I just chunk
> large messages at the application level?

For an experiment, I adjusted scatter.h from:

  #define MAX_SCATTER_ELEMENTS    100

  #define MAX_SCATTER_ELEMENTS    1000

Now, from Perl land, I am successfully sending and receiving messages
of well over 1Mb in size.

Is this a reasonable thing to do, or is there something that I should
be worried about?

Thanks,
-Colin.

p.s. Thanks to bobD for replying to my queuing question. I would very
     much appreciate other advice on Spread message queues.