[Spread-users] spread over routers

David Avraamides David.Avraamides at SevernRiverCapital.com
Fri Feb 4 07:26:44 EST 2005

Daniel,

Here is an example from our config file where we have two segments, each
on a different VLAN. It works well:

Spread_Segment 10.10.1.255:4803 {
       ct-devbuild-01
       ct-srvapp-01
       ct-srvapp-02
       ct-srvapp-03
       ct-srvapp-04
       ct-srvapp-05
       ct-srvapp-06
       ct-srvwebin-01
       ct-srvmon-01
       ct-srvtask-01
}

Spread_Segment  10.10.2.255:4803 {
       ct-dev-01
       ct-dev-02
       ct-dev-03
       ct-trade-01
       ct-trade-02
       ct-trade-03
       ct-trade-04
       ct-trade-05
       ct-trade-06
       ct-trade-07
}

10.10.1 and 10.10.2 are separate VLANs and we have UDP forwarding turned
off between them. The .1 VLAN is for our servers and the .2 is for our
users/clients. Note that we use hostnames rather than IP addresses
because we DHCP addresses (for clients). This can present problems with
spread as it caches the IP address at startup from what I understand.
Recently I rebuilt my machine (ct-dev-01) and the new one got a
different IP address. I had to bring all the daemons down, flush their
DNS caches, and bring them back up. Not a lot of fun but it forced me to
develop scripts which do it automatically, which is a good thing.
-Dave