[Spread-users] Two guys... one group... different group_ids

Theo Schlossnagle jesus at omniti.com
Wed Apr 6 16:54:40 EDT 2005

Hello all --

Weird spread membership issue.

So, I have an app that's been working for a while... It instructs a
group of people to "do something" and I does that by sp_multicasting in
it's view of the group.  It prepends the group_id it gets from the last
membership message it received on that group.

The message is sent SAFE.  So, I expect people to get the messa and the
group id to match (unless the group has altered before delivery.

I have two boxes running Spread 3.17.2.  A client on each box... today
my app started behaving as follows:

app1/box1 and app2/box2 are in a group together...

app1 is killed.

app2 sees a membership change and a new GID [173044807/1112795673/17]
with only app2 in it.

app1 is restarted.

app2 sees a membership change and a new GID [173044807/1112795673/18]
with app1 and app2.

app1 sees a membership change and a new GID [173044807/1112795674/18]
with app1 and app2.

I have disabled all use of the Spread ring except for this app... and
there are only about 5 messages going around (not including group
membership messages).  The spread ring is stable.

It was my understanding that in this new group, they should see the same
group ID... they do not.  this worked for a long time and suddenly today
it stopped and I consistently get an "off by one" on
group_id.id[1].  I'm gonna dig a bit more, but if I restart Spread and
this "goes away," I'm gonna be pretty disturbed.

Thoughts?

Best regards,

--
// Theo Schlossnagle