[Spread-users] flooder.c

Shlomi Yaakobovich Shlomi at exanet.com
Thu Sep 23 11:30:45 EDT 2004

Hi Jerome,

> <               if( Read_only || ( i > 200 && !Write_only ) )
> ---
> >               if( Read_only || ( /*i > 200 &&*/ !Write_only ) )
>
> What is the intent of 'i > 200' on line 109? Thanks

The flooder sends lots of messages to the spread daemon, that's what it is designed to do, but it does not try to receive them immediately. The i > 200 means that it will attempt to receive one message only after sending 200 messages. It receives only 1 pending message, not more, the rest of the 199 messages are still waiting for him...

By commenting that condition, you forced the flooder to wait until it receives its own sent message. In effect, you have disabled flooder's flooding activity... That's why the performance you got is much slower.

By the way, you said that not 100% of the messages flooder sent arrived. Were the missing messages by any chance the last messages ?  We have also noticed some unfriendly behavior of flooder, e.g. it is not waiting for its own messages to arrive before disconnecting, and for that matter it doe snot disconnect nicely (it ends with a "return 0", SP_leave or SP_disconnect are not called at all), and I think that once the daemon sees that behavior in a client, it discards the last messages. I think I have a patch for it somewhere, I will have to look...

Shlomi