[Spread-users] shutting down spread daemon cleanly

Paul Rubel prubel at bbn.com
Thu Oct 28 10:03:01 EDT 2004

Good morning,

We are using spread and have some automated tests that start start and
stop spread daemons. We would like to stop the daemon from outside the
process, i.e. with kill. However, we have had some problems when using
kill, especially on Solaris.

When the daemon is killed on solaris it often leaves its socket in the
TIME_WAIT state. When we go to start up a new daemon it fails because
the socket isn't available. Is there a way to ensure a clean shutdown
of the daemon?

    thank you for your help,
      Paul