[Spread-users] flooder.c

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Mon Oct 18 21:18:48 EDT 2004

Hi,

As I wrote it, I hope I can explain it :-)

You can find the 3 line version in the Readme.txt file in entry 10.

The idea was to allow testing with multiple computers runnign flooders
and all of them sending to the same set of receivers. If you did this
with the older flooder you would cause the receivers who are also
senders to get disconnected because they could not read fast enought to
keep up with all of the senders messages. In this version if you tell
all of the flooders how many senders to expect it will wait for them all
to join a specific group (so they all start at a roughly synchronized
time), will send a specific number of messages immediately to start the
flood  and then will wait to receive a message from all of the
sender before sending their next message -- so they don't run faster
then anyone else. That will bound the number of messages outstanding and
keep everyone locked to the slowest speed.

Are there some specific questions about the changes?

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science