[Spread-users] Limits

Ryan Caudy caudy at jhu.edu
Thu May 20 13:14:28 EDT 2004

 From reading your e-mail, I think you correctly understand the
architecture.  The limit on client connections isn't specified in a
#define, but rather is OS and machine-specific.  The limiting factor
right now is the event subsystem (see events.h/c), which uses select(),
and hence has a limit based on the maximum fd_set size.  On Linux, I
believe this is 997 client connections (Spread uses some additional file
descriptors for internal communication).  The may be some much lower
limit in terms of good performance on your system, depending on the
resources available and the types of applications.  I'm not sure what
the connection exceptions you're getting in Java mean, without more
information.

Cheers,
Ryan