[Spread-users] Limits

Paul DeMarco pd at pauldemarco.com
Wed May 19 17:46:30 EDT 2004

 From the spread users manual:

"By default Spread is compiled to support a maximum of 128 machines per
segment
and up to 20 segments with a total of 128 machines at most in a
configuration.
The 128 machine limit is a hard limit and the protocol has never been
tested with more than 50-60 daemons. The parameters that control these
limits are
MAX PROCS SEGMENT, MAX SEGMENTS, MAX PROCS RING in spread params.h.
MAX PROCS RING can never be more than 128, so there is not much point in
changing it. However if you want to only allow one big segment you could
change MAX SEGMENTS to 1. Or if you want more then 20 segments (say 25),
each of which has only a few machines, you could set MAX SEGMENTS to 25 and
MAX PROCS SEGMENT to 10.3"

How about number of connections to a single spread daemon?  Or am I
missing it, and that was also provided.  If I'm correct its spread
segments, each with machines/daemon instances, and each daemon has
connected clients.

If theres no limit, is there a reliable or tested max, I was receiving
connection exceptions (the java client) when going between 50-75
connections to a single spread daemon instance.

Thanks.

--Paul DeMarco