[Spread-users] Tracing Spread Messages

Ryan Caudy rcaudy at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 18:04:39 EDT 2004

One way to do it, off the top of my head, would be to modify groups.c.
 Specifically, change the function G_mess_to_groups so that, when it
receives a list of groups that includes your test group name, it
behaves as if it the list includes the private group name of the
client you want to receive all the messages.  This should be the
minimal change to achieve the result you desire, although it will
require some minor hacking, and recompilation if you change the group
and private group names you're working with,

Cheers,
Ryan

On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 10:05:17 -0700, Xudong Yan <xyan at juniper.net> wrote:

> For debugging purposes, I would like a way to receive, for a given set of groups, all messages sent to the group
> without actually joining the group (once I join others know I am a member and I actually change the test).
>
> Basically, I am looking for an tcpdump or ethereal equivalent in the spread messaging world. I imagine that this will
> be a client that connects to one of the spread daemons that participate in the groups that I am interested in.
>
> Is there any way to do that? I am willing to patch spread myself if that's what it takes. Can someone provide some pointers
> on where to look?
>
> Thanks
>
> --Xudong

Ryan W. Caudy
&lt;rcaudy at gmail.com&gt;
Bloomberg L.P.
&lt;rcaudy1 at bloomberg.net&gt;
[Alumnus]
&lt;caudy at cnds.jhu.edu&gt;
Center for Networking and Distributed Systems
Department of Computer Science