[Spread-users] Ordering

John Schultz jschultz at spreadconcepts.com
Tue Jun 22 14:18:52 EDT 2004

The token based protocol of Spread 3 does incur some extra latency
because a daemon only sends a message on the network when it has the
token.  In the worst case, the daemon just released the token and has to
wait for it to traverse the entire ring before it can send any more
messages.  Also, if your network is lossy, then delivery may be delayed
at recipients (at least for AGREED msgs) until earlier messages are
recovered and delivered to maintain a local total order.

Also, remember that with Spread you have a client-server architecture.
So when you send a message across the network the one way latency is the
total time it takes for: sender -> local Spread daemon -> remote Spread
daemon -> receiver.

This multi-step architecture incurs some additional latency even when
the sender and receiver are local w.r.t. their Spread daemons. The best
way to reduce this type of latency would probably be to tune your
kernels to swap processes and respond to I/O requests faster somehow.

As to your main question, I wouldn't expect CPU power to affect latency
numbers for this protocol as much as the size of your ring, the
latency/lossiness of your network, the tuning of Spread and the tuning
of your kernel, probably in that order of importance.

--
John Lane Schultz
Spread Concepts LLC