[Spread-users] Server dies

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Fri Jun 11 16:32:37 EDT 2004

Hi,

Can you tell us what version of Spread you are running and on what type of
platform (OS)?

If the spread version is less then 3.17.2 could you try that first and see
if it still has the problem?

I have not seen this crash trigger before and it is one of
those "Can't happen" cases that we put a check in for debugging. The
'type' field that has value -12888 here should only ever have the value 0,
1 or 2 so this looks like memory corruption. The fact that you can easily
trigger it should make it easier to debug.

If you are compiling spread yourself, would you mind making sure
the "Makefile" has the "-g" option included on the CFLAGS= line and
editing alarm.c and replacing the calls to exit(0) with "abort()" and then when it crashes the
spread daemon should generate a core dump. Then email the core dump and
the spread binary itself to me personally (it will be too large for the
list) and I'll look at it.

Thanks,

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu