[Spread-users] controlling network split and merge

Steven Dake sdake at mvista.com
Thu Feb 12 17:59:37 EST 2004

Xudong,

The timings of the membership protocol are controlled in the
membership.c file at function Memb_init.  When changing times, I'd
suggest changing the times by an equal percentage.

The details of the timing variables are explained partly in Yair Amir's
PHD thesis on the spread website.  Others are not so clear, as the
spread membership algorithm is not completely documented.  I'd suggest
keeping the minimum at 100 msec since most unix-like platforms have 10
msec scheduling (and hence 10 msec is the minimum poll can sleep).
Sometimes bad drivers may cause real-time performance to be poor
(greater then 40 msec on platforms such as Linux 2.4).  If your using
Linux 2.6, you should be fine with lower timeouts.  Your mileage may
vary on other platforms.

Thanks
-steve