[Spread-users] Unknown proc messages

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Thu Dec 2 18:29:05 EST 2004

If you want to run multiple Spread configurations on one local subnet at
the same time, the best way is to configure them each to run at
different port numbers. For example in one config file define a segment
as

Spread_Segment 128.164.x.y:9000 {
	host1	128.164.x.a
	host2	128.164.x.b
}
and for a different spread configuration you want to run and not connect
with the first use

Spread_Segment 128.164.x.y:10000 {
	host3	128.164.x.c
	host4	128.164.x.d
}

If you run multiple configurations on the same port they will 'detect'
each other, however since a daemon will only accept messages and merge
memberships with other daemons who are in it's spread.conf file, they
will mostly ignore each other. They log a message to make sure the user
knows they are running but not talking together as that could commonly
represent a configuration error.

If you WANT a set of daemons to be part of the same
membership/configuration and send messages to each other, they DO have
to have all of the daemons in every spread.conf file. (essentially all
spread.conf files must be identical)

Hope that clarifies it.

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu