[Spread-users] New to spread: need some advice/guidance

Ryan Caudy rcaudy at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 21:24:52 EST 2004

On Wed, 1 Dec 2004 13:16:45 -0800, Konda Ankireddyapalli
<kondar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello all,
>
>  I am new to spread and would like to know if it can provide
> facilities I am looking for.
>
> We have two machines on the same subnet, one running Linux and the
> other windows 2003 server. There are applications on both boxes that
> need to communicate with other cross platform(windows to linux and
> vice-versa) and also intra-machine cross application. I assume having
> a daemon on each box will be sufficient to enable such kind of
> communication.

Sounds reasonable.

> The other thing we require is not all communication is message
> based(disconnected). In few cases we need 'rpc' like facility where an
> an application sends a message and waits for a reply. Is this
> supported directly by Spread? If not is it easy to develop wrappers
> over the speard infrastructure to enable such synchronous 'function'
> call like behavior?

What I think you're looking for are (from Spread's perspective)
application-level acknowledgements.  It would be easy, in my opinion,
to develop a wrapper to enable this -- having Spread do it for you
wouldn't necessarily capture the same semantics.

> Thanks a ton in advance,
> Konda

Ryan W. Caudy
<rcaudy at gmail.com>
Bloomberg L.P.
<rcaudy1 at bloomberg.net>
[Alumnus]
<caudy at cnds.jhu.edu>
Center for Networking and Distributed Systems
Department of Computer Science