[Spread-users] maximum number of spread segments

Ryan Caudy caudy at jhu.edu
Tue Apr 6 12:04:31 EDT 2004

Hi,

There shouldn't be stability issues.  However, the more segments you use
(especially on the wide area), the greater the chance of having
performance problems.  People we know of have done surprisingly well in
the past with 6 wide area sites, if I recall correctly, but the open
source version of Spread isn't really designed to handle this well.
Someone else might be better able to give you an idea of the performance
they've had.

The issue is that segments are multicast/broadcast domains -- Spread is
designed best to be extremely efficient within a segment.  However, when
communicating with members of another segment, it has to send data via
unicast to each member.  Recall also that each message must reach every
single daemon in order for Spread's ordering guarantees to be met
(because ordering is done across groups).  Thus you could be doing quite
a lot of wide area communication if you have many segments with many
daemons.

So, the answer to whether or not you'll have performance problems is
that it depends on your network topology and message load.  On a fast
switched LAN, you might do fine with a large number of small segments,
if you don't need to send a lot of messages.

Cheers,
Ryan