[Spread-users] spread configuration

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Fri Apr 2 10:01:10 EST 2004

The segment config should match the physical topology. Any client can
connect to any daemon. Once it has connected, it can do any operation
(join group, multicast messages, etc). Clients connected to different
daemons will can also join groups and if they are in the same group all of
the clients will receive the messages sent to that group -- no matter
which daemon they are connected to.

The reason to have multiple daemons is for more efficient multicasting.

Each segment can have upto around 100 daemons. However, most people
recommend you keep each segment to less then 30-50 daemons in order to
experience good latency and avoid membership instability (when daemons
quit or are started).

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science