[Spread-users] Simulating failure in SPREAD

Yair Amir yairamir at cnds.jhu.edu
Thu Nov 20 09:16:43 EST 2003

Hi,

I am not aware of an easy way to simulate network delay unless you
are using something like Emulab www.emulab.net

However, there is a way to intentionally generate message
losses even though they are not lost. This may help you demonstrate
things. But to activate this you will have to change the code a bit:
In the file protocol.c, in the routine Prot_handle_bcast
look for the words "delete random" and uncomment the 3 lines
of code that are just below it. This will force Spread to randomly
get rid of messages.

Creating a partition with this modified daemon as messages are
flowing fast (e.g. using spflooder) will likely result in
the impact you are looking for.

    Hope this helps,

    :) Yair.    http://www.cs.jhu.edu/~yairamir

On Wednesday, November 19, 2003 7:18 PM