[Spread-users] Trouble compiling spread version 3.17.1 in VS.NET 2003

RYAN CAUDY caudy at jhu.edu
Wed Nov 19 09:00:48 EST 2003

Why can't you simply use the private group names of the group members as identifiers to select which subset?  You receive the list of group members in your group as a determinstically ordered list of their private group names in each regular membership message.

The one concern is that sending once to each member you've chosen at random is much less efficient in terms of messages than sending to the subset as a whole (if the subsets have size greater than 1, and if you have more than 1 daemon).  So, you may need to do something interesting where you have a naming scheme for subsets, and represent each with a group such that each member joins the groups representing each possible subset it is in.

Hope this helps,
Ryan