[Spread-users] Limitation for high availability systems

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Mon May 26 18:24:15 EDT 2003

On Mon, May 26, 2003 at 02:43:21PM +0000, . zist wrote:
> What modifications would be necessary ?

I don't know if I'm overcomplicating the issue or not, but with a
dynamic configuration, you create the need for a config
directory service so that subsequent new members both receive
a correct configuration and get themselves consistently and
atomically accepted into a new configuration by existing members.

Of course, Spread itself is an ideal tool for building such a
service, so there's a chicken-and-egg bootstrap issue there.

You also create a need for an appropriate "floor access" protocol
so that the credential is something other than than the server's
public IP address.

> If it's not planned or easily done by someone not familiar with the
> internal spread
> architecture, would there be some workaround ?

You could populate your spread.conf files with a whole stack of
not-yet-existing hosts.

Joshua Goodall                                      "tea makes itself"
joshua at roughtrade.net                                       - Ana Susanj