[Spread-users] Help with configuration file

Kevin Carlson khcarlso at bellsouth.net
Mon Mar 31 11:40:18 EST 2003

Is there anyone that can point me to a resource that would explain the
"Spread Segment" section of the configuration file other than the User's
guide?  I have read and re-read the section on configuration and can't
quite understand why each machine must be listed and what the different
segments represent.  Yes, I am a spread newbie. ;-)  I am very familiar
with other message bus technologies such as MQSeries, SwiftMQ, and other
JMS implementations but this seems to be a little different.

What I am attempting to do is set up a spread daemon on a single machine
that other machines both on and off the local network can connect to.  I
gather that each segment is informing the daemon where it must broadcast
data to, but why the need for each machine is confusing.  Is this to
control access to the spread daemon?  Am I even on the right track?

Can anyone offer an explanation on this section of the config file?

Thanks,

Kevin