[Spread-users] Daemons taking a long time to find one another.

Yair Amir yairamir at cnds.jhu.edu
Tue Mar 18 06:12:10 EST 2003

Your broadcast or multicast address just does not work.
(this is the 138.206.10.255 in your config file).
Have an address that works and I am sure they will
find each other in a snap.

     :) Yair.

p.s. so that you know - if you add one more computer and run a daemon
on it, then nothing will work. It works for you with 2 computers
only because retransmissions are unicast in such a case.

Anders> Hello Spread Users,

Anders> I am having a problem that is similar to that described in the mail archive (http://lists.spread.org/pipermail/spread-users/2000-December/000023.html). Here's my configuration file:

Anders> Spread_Segment  138.206.10.255:4803 {
Anders>         keeshond                138.206.10.244
Anders>         whippett                138.206.10.247
Anders> }

Anders> When I start spread on each of these machines, they take about a minute to find one another. In the archived email there is a suggestion to use the 'r' and 's' programs to work out if
Anders> broadcasting is working properly within that segment. Unfortunately, 'r' and 's' don't exist in spread-src-3.17.0 although r.c and s.c do exist. I couldn't get 'make r' or 'make s' to work.
Anders> What do I do?

Anders> Anders.