[Spread-users] Problem running spread

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Thu Jan 9 15:28:54 EST 2003

When you run Spread as root it automatically tries to drop privledges and
run as the user "spread" in group "spread" and chroots itself into the
directory "/var/run/spread" by default. If those directories do not exist
or the users do not exist it will fail.

The last two lines are suggesting you look at the "spread_params.h" file
which defines these default locations. You can now also change them at
runtime in the spread.conf file. The parameters are documented in the
sample.spread.conf file that is distributed with Spread.

Usually there is no need to run Spread as root as it does not require any
special permissions. Some people do run it as root because of boot script
issues or policies on where logs and such go.

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science