[Spread-users] Spread daemon -8 and -11 errors

George Schlossnagle george at omniti.com
Wed Dec 24 05:56:43 EST 2003

On Dec 24, 2003, at 5:20 AM, Chetan Gadgil wrote:

> :)
>
> I guess it's a matter of perspective. In a typical DoS attack, I see
> the
> sender as the culprit.

Spread's not a terribly secure protocol to begin with.  There are
plenty of ways to disable or DoS a Spread network without flooding it.
Spread participants are all considered trusted.

> In practical terms, a sender can always re-send a message if sending
> fails in the first place. However, a receiver will not know how many
> messages it has missed if it were forced to disconnect. This would be a
> redefinition of "reliable" delivery.

The sender will always know who has received the message and who has
not - the sender can always opt to resend an important message for a
client that was disconnected for any reason.  Reliable delivery isn't
magical.  If a node becomes separated due to a network segmentation,
you cannot successfully deliver to that node.  You might posit that you
could wait till that node becomes available, but that's not very
realistic as the node may be offline indefinitely.  Similarly, a
receiver with severe flow-control problems potentially threatens the
stability of the ring.  This is that receivers problem, not the senders
problem, and the receiver should separate itself from the ring.
Putting the responsibility for the receivers flow-control on the sender
is not a good assignment of responsibilities at the protocol level.

If this is something you really need, you can of course implement this
sort of global flow on top of spread in your application.