[Spread-users] spread performance looks not very good for me

Ryan Caudy caudy at jhu.edu
Fri Dec 5 21:06:04 EST 2003

I don't have a decent Solaris cluster to test on, but a quick test using
our Linux cluster (on a 100 Mbps ethernet network) gives (pretty rough)
results of:

1 sender + 1 receiver:	85 Mbps
1 sender + 2 receivers:	40 Mbps
3 senders:		52 Mbps

In each of these tests, nodes listed as senders are receiving messages
as well, and nodes listed as receivers are just receiving.  Having more
sending nodes will increase the overall throughput, because more of the
token's circulation time will be used to send.  I'm not sure of the
details of the test that led to the 8000 * 1KB number on the Spread
Overview.

I think the problem may lie outside of Spread, or with the Solaris port.

Cheers,
Ryan