[Spread-users] partition mask

Weinsberg Yaron wyaron at sangate.com
Wed Mar 13 12:09:00 EST 2002

Hi,

There are 4 daemons running on the LAN.
Actually, I didn't get any Transitional messages so far -
I just wanted to know where it is configured.

Incrementing the timeout avoids transitional messages, but i had some
trouble solving the general
case (where there are partitions) :
1. Suppose there are 5 members in a group which need to ACK/NACK a message.
2. If a message is received after a transitional message, and a process is
not in a quorum it should leave the
group (which indicates an ACK response for the others).
BUT from what i have read (Idit Keidar,Yair Amir,Danny Dolev) a process
can't just look at the members list
(of a view change event) and decide if it is in a quorum because of possible
further partitions (and the danger in creating several primary components)

Does spread make it easier for a programmer or should i need to implement a
3PC in order to decide on a quorum ?
I really start to feel that using EVS is harder than VS (which supports
flush).... Am I right ?

    Thanks for your help!
        yaron.

btw, does the postgres-spread manager (which support database replication)
is open source?
where can i get it ?