[Spread-users] partition mask

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Wed Mar 13 11:31:48 EST 2002

On Wed, Mar 13, 2002 at 05:28:14PM +0200, Weinsberg Yaron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I need some configuration tip:
>
> 1. I use several spread daemons in a special LAN configuration : Each node
> consists of two Ethernet interfaces
> and a special switch is used in order to change the node interface when a
> failure occurs.
>
> 2. The switch exchange the interfaces in aprox. 2seconds.
>
> 2. How can I disable the detection of the temporary partition and avoid a
> transitional membership message?

The token timeout that is configured by default is 5 seconds on single site
local networks and 10 seconds when multiple segments are configured. So I'm
not sure why a 2 second communication outage is triggering a membership.

It could be that it isn't the time involved, but something else. Roughly how
many daemons are running on the lan? Also, when you do the switchover do
both interfaces maintain the same ip address, or do they have separate ip
addresses. Finally, when a switchover occurs do all of the daemons switch to
the new network, or only the one who had a failure.

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science