[Spread-users] Off topic: Post Mortem of the mail flood?

Jerry Asher jerry-spread at theashergroup.com
Tue Jul 23 17:03:15 EDT 2002

I woke up this morning to find a gazillion messages from the spread users list.

When I saw that many appeared to be from automated virus detection systems
detecting a bunch of viruses, well first, I blanched, maybe my own automated
virus detection system was contributing to the problem.

I looked through my logs and near as I can tell the system I am using
(cainnoculate for linux) was smart enough not to reply (it sent me many
emails saying it wasn't going to reply as the reply address seemed to be a
mailing list.)

So,

a)  If I added to this I apologize
b)  I don't think my system added to this, but I would
     appreciate being told otherwise, so that I can
     (try to) fix my system.
c)  So what started all this and what happened?

Also, I am completely okay with this being a members only mailing list.

Thank you,

Jerry Asher
Jerry Asher                      jerry at theashergroup.com
1678 Shattuck Avenue Suite 161   Tel: (510) 549-2980
Berkeley, CA 94709               Fax: (877) 311-8688