[Spread-users] Spread and dynamic IP addresses?

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Thu Jul 11 13:02:22 EDT 2002

I havn't tried it before but I think the following should work.

Make sure your local name /dns works on the mobile nodes. So if a node
calls "gethostname" it returns a dns name that matches it's current IP
address as assigned by DHCP. Then put the entire range of DHCP address
that you want to be able to use spread in the spread.conf file (like you
mentioned below)

What will not work is if each node has a static 'hostname' but dynamic
IP address because then the combination of "gethostname" = myname,
"getaddrbyname(myname)"  = myaddr will not create a (myname,myaddr) pair
that exists in the spread.conf file, since the mappings change.

Now, about the second issue, if the IP address of a node changes while a
spread daemon is running, things will NOT work. The spread daemon would
have to be killed and restarted (with the new IP address). I think that
can be automated by many dhcp clients, but youw ill lose any active
spread connections when it occurs.

I don't know if any of these comments help you, but if you have any
more questions, this list is the right place.

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu
Dept. of Computer Science