[Spread-users] Tunnels

Jonathan Stanton jonathan at cnds.jhu.edu
Wed Jan 9 10:46:13 EST 2002

I am not quite sure I understand what you are looking for, I think spread
does part of what you want already, but it may not be a complete solution.

You want to run a Spread configuration with several segments located at
different sites network wise and have them send point-to-point messages to
connect the various sites? Spread does do this. If you configure several
segmenst Spread will NOT use broadcast/multicast to communicate, but will
use unicast UDP packets between the sites and multicast only within a site.
So if routing is available to reach the other sites, it should work, with
one caveat. The one caveat is that the traffic will not be secured, it will
be sent in the clear. So if you need the spread traffic to be private it
will not be sufficient.

We are working on an integrated Secure Spread product that will provide
traffic encryption and authentication in the daemon. Contact Yair Amir
<yairamir at spreadconcepts.com> if you are interested in this.

Probably the best solution for private ip addresses with security today is
to use IP in IP tunneling (maybe with IPSEC) between your routers on each
private segment. That will appear to spread as if the segments are directly
connected (the traffic will have the right source addresses) and IPSEC or
equivelent provides the security. I thought the overhead of this was
reasonable, but maybe this is the solution you are referring to below as
being a lot of overhead.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan

Jonathan R. Stanton         jonathan at cs.jhu.edu