[Spread-users] Practical Wide-Area Database Replication

Pandre, Andrei APandre at EzeCastleSoftware.com
Tue Feb 5 12:44:46 EST 2002

This is indeed the best available technology on
market. I am quite familiar with 2PC and ASync
replication technologies and was one of developers
of OmniReplicator while it was at Praxis International
(see http://www.praxisint.com/) and now it is
bought by LakeView (see
http://www.praxisint.com/product/omni/index.asp ).
Also I can compare it whith native replication by
MS SQL Server and Oracle and with some other
replication tools, like
http://www.quest.com/shareplex/
http://www.timesten.com/products/replication.html
http://www.peerdirect.com/

As far as I know Yair and his team discover superior
approach to replication of DB transactions.
Implementation is a little bit Postgres specific,
according to their new article, but I wish them
good luck to "spread it out" beyond Postgres.
I wish they will have some implementation for
MS-SQL Server and Oracle, but I guess it will happened
overtime.
I also wish this solution will be Open Source,
but I guess it is too much to wish.

-Andrei