[Spread-users] Re: Welcome to the "Spread-users" mailing list

Daniel Rall dlr at collab.net
Fri Aug 2 03:21:26 EDT 2002

jasniya badsha <jasniya at yahoo.com> writes:

> this happens after the application runs for a long time(8-10 hrs).how can we know when to reconnect and what is causing this exception?
>
> spread.SpreadException: Connection closed while reading header
>  at spread.SpreadConnection.internal_receive(SpreadConnection.java:1045)
>  at spread.SpreadConnection.receive(SpreadConnection.java:1018)
>  at NewsHeadLines$NewsThread.run(NewsHeadLines.java:233)

Your client may be receiving messages too slowly.  The daemon will
eventually disconnect your client, I believe after buffering a certain
number of messages (I believe it defaults to 1000).

Do you happen to be using SpreadMessage's setObject() and/or
getObject() methods?  They both are implemented using Java's
serialization mechanism, which is fairly slow.
--

Daniel Rall <dlr at finemaltcoding.com>