[Spread-users] Elvin

Joshua Goodall joshua at roughtrade.net
Fri Sep 14 06:06:34 EDT 2001

Given that users of Spread are likely to have a more general interest in
messaging, I thought I'd share a toolkit that I came across today.

The Elvin messaging service lives at http://elvin.dstc.edu.au/

I haven't had time to evaluate it, but it seems highly orthogonal to the
Spread infrastructure. It supplies tuple-space semantics (think Linda or
JavaSpaces) on top of arbitary transports. I looked it at briefly and
thought immediately that the twain could meet.  Unfortunately, the
download license prohibits commercial use.

Alternatively, a JINI stack could be built atop Spread :)