[Spread-users] INET unable to bind to port - force kill?

Abe Scwartz sloween at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 26 14:44:01 EDT 2001

All -

When spread dies, I'd like to be able to kill it and restart it using
something like daemontools. The problem is, spread seems to hold on to the
port for a while. I've tried removing /tmp/4803 and force-killing all the
processes, but it still holds on to the port. fuser/netstat are of little
help.

I'm using mod_log_spread, and my best guess is that they are holding the
release of the port up even after spread has died.

The end result is, when spread dies, it takes about 45 seconds to bring it
back up - and then apache has to be restarted. I'd like to use daemontools
to reduce this to a few seconds.

Is there a more graceful way to accomplish this? Or perhaps someone has had
a better experience with keeping spread from dying? The process either dies,
or I get the dreaded 'SP multicast' error.

Thanks again!