[Spread-users] spread with multicast IP's

Neil Mansilla neil at whatUseek.com
Mon Jul 16 19:39:04 EDT 2001

On Mon, 16 Jul 2001, Jonathan Stanton wrote:

> You can use IP-multicast addresses instead of broadcast addresses. Just
> replace the broadcast. A simple example is at the end of the
> sample.spread.conf file in the distribution.
>
> Spread_Segment 225.0.1.1:3333 {
> 	host1			1.2.3.4
> 	host2			1.2.3.6
> }
> The 225.0.1.1 is a 'randomly' chosen valid IP-Multicast address. You want
> to pick one that isn't being used for anything else on your local network.

I'm only using Spread for mod_log_spread on a local farm of servers.
I was reading up on multicast at http://www.sprint.net/multicastfaq.html
.. does anyone here use multicasting on 239.0.0.0? (/8, full class
A) According to that Sprint FAQ, that multicast A class segment is
reserved for internal traffic similar to 10.x.x.x and 192.168.x.x, etc.