[Spread-users] spread 3.16.1 daemon crash on Windows

Guido van Rossum guido at python.org
Wed Dec 19 12:28:28 EST 2001

The PythonLabs team is planning to use Spread for a Zope corp project.

We're happily running (and debugging :-) our code on Unix, but on
Windows we are experiencing problems with the spread daemon.  In
particular, we start the daemon with the sample configuration file and
"-n localhost" on the command line; the daemon starts up and prints
the same set of messages as it does on Linux, which makes me feel
we're doing things right; but at the very first client request, the
spread daemon crashes.  The client reports an error at that point.
The spread.exe daemon is apparently built without debugging symbols --
starting the MSVC debugger doesn't give us much more info beyond the
fact that it's crashing in spread. :-(

Any idea on what to do next?  We downloaded the 3.16.1 binary
distribution for Windows.  We're experiencing the same crash both on
Win98se and on Win2K.  In order to debug this ourselves we would have
to rebuild the daemon from source -- we have VC++ 6.0, but we don't
have a project file to build the daemon.

Anybody what to help us?