[Spread-users] CVS access to Spread

Jon Stevens jon at latchkey.com
Wed Aug 22 13:08:54 EDT 2001

on 8/22/01 8:36 AM, "Michal Miskin-Amir" <michal at spreadconcepts.com> wrote:

> As for CVS access: We can now provide CVS access to these people who
> are interested. Please email us directly at spread at spread.org to request
> a user ID/password.

Is this the policy for giving out commit access?

When will anonymous be given out? Just create an account, stick it in the
CVSROOT/readers file and give us the username/password.

Also, you don't want to give out commit access to just anyone. The way that
the ASF works is that this is a privilege that people must earn first by
showing that they have the coding skills necessary to contribute to the
project.

I suggest you read up on this:

    <http://jakarta.apache.org/site/guidelines.html>

Knowing who else has commit access is also a good thing.

> Some of you have been sending us fixes and patches: We are also working
> through some licensing issues so that we could easily accept your
> contributions and release them with Spread. You will hear from us in the
> next few days. We will also post more explanations on how to contribute
> on the spread.org web site.

What licensing issues? Spread is currently under a license which gives it no
more licensing issues.

> The Spread project was started over 7 years ago. For many years, we did
> not  see much interest in the Spread project outside the research
> community. Recently, we noticed an increased interest in Spread, and the
> features it provides. This is great. The positive feedback from the outside
> users convinced us to release Spread as an open source this summer.

That is because no one could use it commercially.

> Involvement of the outside development community is very important to us.
> Many of you have much experience with Open Source projects, and we are
> interested in hearing your comments, while we work through the various
> issues related to this new phase in the life of Spread.

Advice #1: Let some people who are experienced with dealing with OSS help
you along instead of continually tripping over your feet. Ben is a perfect
example of such a person to help out.

:-)

-jon