[Spread-users] Connecting spread daemons with different segment configurations

Timo Korthals tkorthals at cit-ec.uni-bielefeld.de
Thu Jan 29 10:21:17 EST 2015

Dear spread users,

we are trying to setup a huge (< 60) spread daemon network.
We just tried to define more than 20 segments in the spread
configuration, but this is not valid due to the following line in
"include/sp.h":
#define         MAX_PROC_NAME           20 /* largest possible size of
process name of daemon */

First of all, it seems a bit sloppy to me, that there is no "#ifndef
MAX_PROC_NAME", so that one can define this macro variable during
configuration time with "./configure".
On the other hand I want to know, why have you chosen such a small number?
In you manual you describe a tested configuration of 60 daemons (which
is totally OK for us).
Are there any big disadvantages of huge segment setups and what happens
if I increase the number of daemons?

My first guess would be, that the communication overhead is increasing
exponentially, due to the fact that the spread daemons always try to
test their communication partners.
In fact, for our setup we just want to send a really small amount of
data, and only want the advantage of the connectability.

So is it safe to just increase the "MAX_PROC_NAME" variable?

Kind regards,
Timo

Timo Korthals, M.Sc.
Universität Bielefeld
AG Kognitronik & Sensorik
Exzellenzcluster Cognitive Interaction Technology (CITEC)
Inspiration 1 (Zehlendorfer Damm 199)
33619 Bielefeld - Germany

Office  : 3.037
Phone   : +49 521 106-67368